Our Guardianship Program
What is a Guardian Home?
A guardian home is a local family who is a forever home for one of the dogs in our breeding program. Guardian homes allow our breeding dogs to live with families and not in kennels as our program grows. We are always looking for great guardian homes, so if you are interested, please contact us!
Our breeding program is designed around our ability to utilize guardian homes for our breeding dogs. This program is designed this way to benefit everyone, especially and most importantly the dogs, who are raised in a home with a family instead of a kennel. Think of it as being a foster family with the intention of adopting the dog permanently once their career is finished. Guardian homes are meant to be permanent so that the dog does not need to go through re-homing.
Quality Puppies USA retains ownership and breeding rights while the dog lives with a family. We want all of our dogs to be in a loving home and it allows us to be kennel free. It is a win, win for everyone, most importantly the dog.
Most of the dogs in our guardian homes will be females but we may have a male from time to time. Females will have up to 6 litters and males can be in our program for up to 6 years (at the sole discretion of Quality Puppies USA).
When the guardian dog is of age, we will get all his/her health clearances done and then if all goes well, we will breed them to a mate of our choosing.
If you are the Guardian Family for a female, you will bring your female to our home to be bred and then she will return home to your family for the duration of her pregnancy. One week before she is due, she will return to our farm to get ready for the birth of her puppies. She will stay in our home until her puppies are weaned and placed in their new homes! Then the guardian dog will return to you, her Guardian Family.
If you choose that you do not want to have your dog leave for 2 months, Guardian Families have the option of raising the litter themselves. If this is something you are interested in, please let us know and we can discuss further details. You will have to be willing to be trained on raising a litter.
If you are the Guardian Family for a male, he will just need to come over the week he will be bred and then he can return home!
Guardian families are responsible for normal dog care including but not limited to training, socialization, vet expenses (non-breeding related), food, grooming and lots of love and affection. Quality Puppies USA pays for all breeding related expenses. As an added benefit for the guardian family, depending on our schedule we may provide care for your dog while on vacation.
We will visit your home periodically to ensure that the dog is comfortable when he/she comes for breeding and whelping. You will be responsible for sending pictures and updates monthly for our website.
• Within 3 hours of Ocala, FL Willing to work with families a bit outside of this range if you are the perfect home
• Feed all guardians Purina Pro (or similar quality food)
• Keep female dogs away from intact male dogs
• Not allow intact males to breed intact females
• Training- Enroll in training program with Baxter & Bella
• Notify us immediately when the dog is in season
• Visit our home periodically to ensure the dog is comfortable when they come back for breeding / whelping
• Bring the dog to us as needed for health testing, breedings, whelping and photo shoots
BENEFITS TO BEING A GUARDIAN HOME
• You receive a top quality dog with a low upfront cost
• The dog will be health tested at the breeder’s expense
• Families are allowed to visit their female and her puppies
• Monetary compensation for each litter that is produced
• The breeder pays for spay or neuter
• Guardians with females get to name the puppies in her litters
• Once retired and spayed/neutered, full rights and ownership are transferred to you
• Knowing your canine companion is blessing families all over the country
• We consider all of our puppy/dog owners family, but when you become a guardian you are truly part of our tea
A $250- $500 Guardianship application fee is needed to become a Guardian Family. This covers the cost of a background check, contract fees and home inspection. There is NOT a pet fee that you will have to pay when your pup is fully released of her breeding’s. Please research this when looking to be in a Guardian Program. Some breeders will make you pay for your dog after she is done with her program. We DO NOT! We believe she has earned her right to be a part of your family for no extra charge.
Thank you, Guardian Families! We couldn’t do it without you!